Sun safety is something that I am very passionate about! I used to dream of tan skin … but the path to achieve it meant too many burns to count. So my now older self is sharing wisdom that she wishes her younger self would have listened to… SUN SAFETY PEOPLE!
But did you know there are so many different ways to protect your skin? Including different types of sunscreen!
Mineral sunscreens (physical sunscreens) are Beautycounter’s preferred sunscreen technology and are different than chemical sunscreens which get absorbed into your skin. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are physical particles that sit on the surface of the skin and scatter or reflect sun’s rays away from the skin. An effective sunscreen must provide protection from both UVA and UVB rays!
UVB rays are the burning rays and are the primary cause of sunburn.
UVA are the aging rays and are less powerful than UVB. They penetrate deeper into the skin to cause the free-radical damage that contributes to premature skin aging. These are present all year!
Some Sun Facts:
- An estimated 90% of the signs of aging are caused by the sun.
- More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined*.
- It is best to apply sunscreen liberally and evenly 15 minutes before sun exposure
- UVA can penetrate glass and clouds! Applying sunscreen everyday is a must!
- Avoid the sun during peak hours!
- Covering your skin helps and make sure to reapply every your sunscreen!
Check out my latest video for more information on enjoying the sun more safely!
Lastly, what is the summer without an epic playlist? Here is a specially curated Summertime playlist for fun all summer!
Enjoy the sun!